New York Governor Spitzer Resigns Amid Sex Scandal


Originally posted Wednesday March 12, 2008 11:50 AM EDT

Saying, "I sincerely apologize," New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer announced his resignation during a brief statement delivered Wednesday morning from his downtown Manhattan office. His stepping down comes in the wake of his being linked to a prostitution ring.

"I am deeply sorry I did not live up to what was expected of me," said Spitzer, referring to his "private failings" for which, he also said, "I've begun to atone."

The announcement (see video of the statement below) follows a stunning two days of revelations about Spitzer's personal activities. At a press conference Monday with his wife, Silda, at his side (as she was for Wednesday's announcement), Spitzer said: "I have acted in a way that violates my obligations to my family and violates my – or any – sense of right and wrong."

He added, "I apologize to the public, whom I promised better."

The resignation effectively ends Spitzer's political career just 16 months after he was elected New York's Democratic governor by a wide margin.

With Spitzer out of office, New York's state constitution calls for his job to pass to his lieutenant governor and running mate, Lt. Gov. David A. Paterson, 53, a legally blind former legislator. Paterson, whom the Wall Street Journal described as being "as widely liked as Mr. Spitzer is controversial," also becomes the Empire State's first African-American governor.

The transfer of power will take place on Monday, Spitzer said, as he also announced that this was the desire of Paterson.

Google

The Pictures I have posted are Webfinds, thus all the Credits go to Photographers, Publishers, Webmasters etc. A very special thanks to people.com & thehollywoodgossip.com for their support


Thanks!«»

«» If You see anything on this Blog for which you hold the Copyright, please inform me at iamthebest03@yahoo.com and I will immediately remove it!«»